Where was John Dingell's childhood home? Visit "News" to find out!
From humble beginnings, John Dingell Jr. rose to become the Dean of the U.S. House of Representatives. The upper flat of this American Foursquare was home to the Dingell family.
George and Mary Gramer sold their farm in what is now Rouge Park and moved to this handsome Craftsman Bungalow. Four of their six neighbors on this short stretch of Military between Cherry Hill and the Rouge River were retired farmers.
This Colonial Revival home is
one of a handful of Dearborn homes constructed of concrete block. It was built by a cement company executive.
John and Anna Ochs owned a farm on the Rouge River that ran along North Dearborn Road – an early road on the north side of the Rouge River in southeast Dearborn that followed an old Native American trail. What remains of it today is now called Dearborn Street in neighboring Delray – southwest Detroit. Henry Ford purchased the Ochs farm in 1920 and the land is now part of the Ford Motor Company Rouge Complex.
In 1916 Frank J. Korte built a house at 22546 Michigan Avenue. Little could Frank have known that at some point his well-built American Foursquare would be entombed in another structure that today houses the Howe-Peterson Funeral Home.
Learn more about historic preservation in Dearborn and how revisions to the current historic district ordinance could be an advantage for the city and its residents. Read the Press & Guide article at the link below.
The State of Michigan just passed a tax credit that enables owners of homes in historic districts to get up to 25 percent back on home renovations.
Stanley Knauss was a Stout executive, as in the Stout Metal Airplane Company. While Stout may not be a name that most would recognize, the company was a pioneer in the early days of aviation following World War I.
Henry Ford built this home for his sister Maggie from parts of a home belonging to her husband's family. The older family home had to be removed to allow the widening of Southfield Road.
Many houses in Dearborn are made from brick made from local clay because of the abundant clay deposits in the area. This Garrison home was built with bricks from the Dort brickyard, the same source of bricks used in the Arsenal buildings.
An interesting character began to build this home, but was convicted of embezzling from the Detroit Public Welfare Department at the height of the Depression before he could finish it.
The builder of this home was a Ford man who fed the "beast," the Ford Rouge Complex, with the vast quantities of raw materials needed for the Model A.
A puppeteer and early television pioneer who entertained generations of Detroit-area children lived in this Morley Avenue house.
This was Frank Corrigan's home. He got his start driving Henry Ford around. During the Depression, he began to help people evicted from their homes move to new lodgings. He took that expertise and turned it into a world-wide moving business that is still in business.
Henry Ford built his first gasoline powered vehicle in 1896. A friend who helped him build that legendary vehicle, the Quadricycle, later had this home built as a wedding gift to his son. The architect was the mid-century design icon, Earl W. Pellerin.
Generations of children, including Henry Ford, learned using a McGuffey Reader. Ford built a school to honor McGuffey and invited the author's son to move to Dearborn so the author's grandson could attend his school. The family lived in this house on Law Street.
Clara Ford's niece was an art student studying in Paris when she met a young man from Egypt. After their marriage, her husband, Francois Audi, went to work for Uncle Henry and the couple lived in this Alexandrine home.
A Dearborn resident known as "Mr. Cement" for his work in the industry that was providing the foundation for the area's post-war building boom built a unique house on Long Boulevard.
A remnant of Dearborn's farming past lives on behind a Craftsman Bungalow home dating to 1913 located on Garrison.
The Ford team developing the iconic Mustang in the 1960s were under strict "No Tell" secrecy orders. They met at a motel, now a part of the Dearborn Historical Museum, to strategize. Read the Press & Guide article at the link below.
Four Dearborn leaders with last names that started with “B” lived in this beautiful fieldstone house. Read the Press & Guide article at the link below.
A local minister, who was also the head of the Henry Ford for President group, lived here. Read the Press & Guide article at the link below.
A farmer retired to this house after he sold his farm, which included what is now Ford Field, to Henry Ford. Read the Press & Guide article at the link below.
Dearborn once had a Roulo Creek and a Roulo family farm until both were acquired by Henry Ford. The Roulo family patriarch lived in this house. Read a Press & Guide article at the link below.
A man who was with Thomas Edison when the first electric light was developed lived in this home on Alexandrine. Read the Press & Guide article at the link below.
Edsel Ruddiman, Henry Ford's best friend and the source of his son's name, lived in this house on Long Boulevard. Read the Press & Guide article at the link below.
Join Devan Anderson, President of Preservation Detroit's Board of Directors, a Michigan Historic Preservation Network board member and a member of the State Historic Preservation Review Board. Devan will share an inside look at various historic preservation projects and challenges throughout the metro Detroit area.